Grease Traps

Grease Trap Maintenance Number


Your Responsibility as a Property Owner

The City of Winnipeg requires all businesses that deal with grease to have a grease trap. As a commercial property owner, you are responsible for the sewer line on your property.


Our Responsibility as Your Plumber

As part of this by-law, a licensed plumber must clean and service your grease trap regularly. Not doing so can result in hefty offence fines. You also risk potential closure of your business to repair your sewer lines.

If you are confused about grease traps, then we’re here to help. We want to make sure your business is operating safely within the city’s Sewer By-law.


What is a grease trap?

A grease trap collects grease from the wastewater in your sinks and dishwasher, trapping and keeping it all from entering your sewer drain.

Who requires a grease trap?

As of 2018, all commercial restaurants and food service businesses in Winnipeg require a grease trap.

What if we don’t work with grease? Do we still need a grease trap?

Yes, you still need a grease trap. Grease traps collect more than grease; they collect cooking oils, fats from butter and butter substitutes, and baking grease.

There are grease traps and grease interceptors. What’s the difference and which one do I need?

Grease traps and grease interceptors perform the same function. Interceptors are much larger and are usually underground, outside your establishment. They hold more grease, so they don’t need to be cleaned as often as a smaller trap.

If you don’t have either a trap or interceptor, we can help you determine which one you need. We base this decision on the volume of wastewater and grease your business generates. Call us and we’ll do an assessment with you.

How often do I need to clean my grease trap?

The city requires weekly grease trap cleanings, performed and documented by a licensed plumber. However, if you generate a lot of grease and/or you use a food waste grinder or garburator in your kitchen sinks, your trap can clog more quickly. In that case, we may need to clean it more frequently.

If you do not clean your grease trap regularly, it will clog.

Do I need to keep a maintenance logbook?

Yes, you do. The city’s Sewer By-law needs maintenance records that must stay on-site for 12 months. They must also be readily available to city inspectors. Make sure all employees on-staff know where you keep your log. As your plumber, we help properly maintain these records for you, but you are responsible for keeping your maintenance logbook.

If you do not have a maintenance log, you can download your own copy at the bottom of this page.

What can I do to reduce the amount of grease and oil going into my grease trap?

Essentially, try to dispose of grease through the garbage, not the drain.

Put all greasy foods in the garbage and not down the drain. Wipe excess grease off of pans and utensils with paper towel. Use a sink strainer to catch food waste and empty the strainer into the garbage. Pour any excess cooking oil in a container to harden and put that in the garbage too.

I have more questions. Who can I call?

If you have any questions, call us at Clean Line. We would be happy to come down and make sure everything is running smoothly. If you are more curious about the Sewer By-law, call the City of Winnipeg’s 311 Centre by dialling 3-1-1.

If you’d like to print a copy of our grease trap maintenance log to keep on-site, download our PDF by hitting the button below.